Week 4: Progress

This week we started to look at interesting patterns we could print on to materials to create origami structures. We started by printing on paper and folding it afterwards to quickly prototype the design before printing on stretched fabric.

The below design was not very successful.

DSCN4475

Rather than trying to create the Hyperbolic Paraboloid straight away, we looked into creating single folds to see if we could find a link between how far we stretched the fabric and the resulting angle of the bend created.
DSCN4466

We saw in this particular print that the tension pulled the ends of the print together.

DSCN4467

The printed parts were also quite thin so the resulting shape was a curve. We decided the prints should be thinker and wider to improve rigidity. means we the prints need to be more rigid. The test below did not spring into any kind of shape once it had been cut from the fabric.

DSCN4470

We created a string of thicker lines to create single bends.

DSCN4477IMG_20151013_141709IMG_20151013_141719

We made small linking strands in between the lines we printed as we found it made the bend more rigid and retained it in one dimension.

Using this knowledge we made a first attempt at the hyperbolic paraboloid.

First try hyperbolic paraboloid
image1

Our first attempt was too rigid to bend due to the connecting lines we added in between parts we wanted to bend. Instead the broke. The tension of the fabric had little to no effect on the shape. We decided we would design out the bending lines in the next print to make it more simple.

Failed Print

Due to this print taking a lot of time we had to leave it overnight. This however, was not a good idea as the print failed.

We re-printed and had a degree of success!

Cutting Success-ish

Bending Square

Bending Square Two

We found that a small gap in between printed parts produced a good elastic bend. However, any smaller and the gap would not have enough tension to bend at all. So that means that distance between the parts is important for a nice result.

We then tried to laminate this pattern: first printing on the glass plate; then stretching the fabric over that print; and finally printing on the fabric to fuse the prints together. The result was good.

PrintingCuttingSome failure

Although some of the laminated panels fell off the ones that bonded well increased the effect of the tension in the fabric.

Be Sociable, Share!